This year is reaching its conclusion and it’s been a great one for Kontalk:
- Project popularity continuted to increase. More people than ever are aware of Kontalk and use it daily.
- Community involvement is now even greater thanks to this wonderful forum that @tetris4 helped building. We have already reached 50 users in the first month of running it.
- New features were introduced such as the long-awaited group chats and sticky conversations, in addition to many more improvements.
- Kontalk became available in the Amazon Appstore
- Kontalk has been translated into 19 languages thanks to the great and constant work of our users and contributors. Thank you!!
Kontalk has also contributed to the Tigase project, the XMPP server Kontalk runs on. Several patches were submitted and we also helped fix some bugs we found. I want to thank the Tigase team for their great work, without it Kontalk would probably not be possible.
But what can we look forward to in 2017?
Group chat was a great feature to introduce, yet it still has a lot of room for enhancements, so we’ll begin focusing our efforts on fixing and improving this part.
We also want to improve our integration with the XMPP global federated network. Afterall, Kontalk is a specialized XMPP client and we want our users to feel even more free to chat with users outside of Kontalk.
Some more improvements on the encryption part include conforming to the recently approved OpenPGP XEP and adding perfect forward secrecy with OMEMO, currently being reviewed by the XSF.
Video and location sharing are also long-awaited features that will see the light next year, with the help of our core developer @a.cappelli87.
And also a few other little surprises that I won’t reveal right now…
Kontalk Public Network
The KPN is always looking for new sponsors or volunteers to host new Kontalk nodes, not only to support the growing userbase, but also to offer alternatives to our users and become a little less centralized than we are now, since we still run on 1 server.
We plan to show a one-time sponsor screen when a user registers with a sponsored server, showing a brand of the sponsor and a custom notice from the sponsor.
The network itself requires money to keep going! It’s always a pleasure to see that progress bar growing: https://www.kontalk.net/
Please donate whatever you can, even small donations matter.
The Kontalk devteam wishes everyone a wonderful new year.