What to expect - Kontalk for Android 4.0.4

Hey people,
it’s been almost a month since the last release and I’d like to give you a quick preview of what’s coming. Some tiny little things but that IMHO could greatly help usability and user experience of Kontalk. Some features will only be available starting Android 6 or 7, sorry that’s the platform :slight_smile:

• better and nicer notifications
  • direct reply (Android 7+ only)
  • direct share (Android 6+ only)
  • up to 3 lines of text are now displayed from the latest message in unread conversations in the main screen
  • show max recording time while recording audio messages
  • listen to audio messages through the phone speaker when covering the proximity sensor (i.e. bringing the phone to your ear)
  • “duck” music while playing audio messages
  • keep image ratio in thumbnails (and make them bigger)
  • accept any attachment type (incoming only)
  • improved compatibility with sending/receiving images to/from other XMPP clients (especially Conversations)
  • ask to double check your number when registering

We might increment the minor version number with this one guys… we’ll publish a beta version soon.

3 Likes

Does that mean that nobody can send “any attachments types”? (outgoing) What does “incoming” mean?

It means that non-Android clients can send any file attachment (e.g. Kontalk desktop client or other XMPP clients. Please note that only URL-based attachments are supported, e.g. no direct file transfer between peers) and the Android app will not discard them (like it did until version 4.0.3).

I have seen @a.cappelli87 works on location sharing👍

Is there a chance it will start with V 4.0.4?

1 Like

I don’t know… maybe :slight_smile:

@a.cappelli87 will you give us a sneak peek of what’s coming when you have it? Maybe a few screenshots :heart_eyes:

@daniele_athome

3 Likes

It looks really nice :thumbsup:

It looks really Google. It looks really wont-work-on-a-non-Google-Apps-infected-phone. It looks really doesn’t-use-open-technology. :unamused:

On a more serious note: @a.cappelli87 Will the F-Droid version have support for OSM?

1 Like

Hi @Stefan
You will be able to choose between osm and google in the play store version.
Do you have any advice to not sound like google?

2 Likes

Yes, post screenshots without the Google logo! :wink:

@stefan I don’t understand your Google problem.

AFAIK Android (your mobil OS) is developed by google. Isn’t it :stuck_out_tongue:

It is unfortunately developed by Google, but I chose #livingwogoogle (I have not installed any Google Apps). AOSP is at least open source.

PS.: @tetris4 replying by email still doesn’t work… :frowning2:

It is indeed, but on the Fairphone 1, which @Stefan has, you can choose to not use any G00gle services at all.
I for myself own a Fairphone 2, where you can switch to an Fairphone OpenOS (which is a open source version of Android) too and then don’t use Google-Crapps. However, I installed OpenGApps again, but restricted them with XPrivacy (FP OpenOS is pre-rooted) :wink:

But let’s stay on topic here, you can ask me via PM if you are interested :slight_smile:

@a.cappelli87

Hi,
location sharing would be great for my summer hollydays.
So I could show my friends where I am. Just to swagger :wink:

What do you think. Can I make them envious this summer on my motobike tour?

Or do you need some more time to finish this feature?

1 Like

@webratte I think you can split your position very soon!

A little upgrade on progress!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2k3it5jn5gsss0/device-2017-06-07-160036.mp4?dl=0

2 Likes

@a.cappelli87

I’m lookin forward to this feature.

Thank you very much.

1 Like