Proposing Kontalk to the /e/ foundation to secure its future?

Dear Kontalk community members,

Kontalk would be a great addition to the /e/ foundation LineageOS-derived operating system and associated services. If you haven’t heard about it until now, it is a privacy-oriented Android together with NextCloud hosted services that are pre-configured. The foundation sells versions of the Fairphone with their /e/ version of Android pre-installed and supports a number of popular phones for those who want to give it a try. I did, and was impressed. However, they lack, to my knowledge, a secure messaging system and I believe Kontalk could fill that gap.

What do you think ? If /e/ foundation could contribute to Kontalk maintenance and further development, this could mean a bright and long-lived future for this wonderful app.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hello @cosminribo and welcome.
As you can see from the delay in my reply, unfortunately I couldn’t give much time lately (nothing really but basic service maintenance) to the project.

Regarding /e/OS, from a quick search I can’t find a page where stock (preinstalled) apps are listed. Personally I don’t like pre-installed apps, maybe something like a builtin app for choosing the right apps for you would be better IMHO.

Hola.
¿Quería saber cómo va el proyecto kontalk? yo había estado muy ausente en el foro, pero También hace tiempo que no escriben por acá.
Deseando que estén bien y qué el proyecto pueda continuar.

Hello.
I wanted to know how the kontalk project is going? I had been very absent from the forum, but it’s also been a while since you last posted here.
Wishing you well and that the project can continue.

Hello Daniele,

on that note, how can someone become more involved in keeping the network running? …I have a few spare servers and thought of donating space/bandwidth to the project. Please let me know!