Introduce yourself or just say hi

Psst! @stanzi @Spielmops We Fairphoners should prepare for the takeover of the Kontalk forum! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

ā€¦ and we make Kontalk a system-app on the FP2 next to Fdroidā€¦

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Dima, I was born in Belarus and now living in Berlin so I speak Russian, Belorussian, English, German and started to learn French some months ago.

Iā€™m maybe the technical less skilled and the youngest one (not even 18) who got here on my own.

Iā€™ve came in contact with Open Source :heart_eyes: when I was 10 years old and got my first laptop where my father, mainly system administrator, installed Ubuntu, which I donā€™t like that much anymore. In that time Iā€™ve really enjoyed the multiple desktops and especially COMPIZ.

Now Iā€™m still using only FOSS (besides of Google Docs but it will be replaced with Nextcloud soon), Debian on my PC, Blender, OpenShot and Gimp for my ā€œartworkā€:clapper::art:, LMMS :musical_note::notes: for music and so on.

When I bought my first smartphone half a year ago Iā€™ve tried to do it right from the beginning and the first thing Iā€™ve done was disabling any preinstalled app which I was allowed to and then downloading F-Droid and Orbot :closed_lock_with_key:.

It took a while until Iā€™ve found Kontalk because Iā€™ve searched an alternative for WhatsApp but thereā€™s no string like ā€œwhatsappā€ in the description and if you type ā€œchatā€ you get 35 different apps :frowning:.

After a month later Iā€™ve learned what XMPP is, it got a little easier because there are only 8 (different+free) apps, where ā€œXMPP encryptionā€ has only ChatSecure, Conversations and Kontalk :slight_smile:.

Iā€™ve dropped the 2 first very quickly after Iā€™ve seen that ChatSecure is way to complicated to use it with ā€œnormalā€ people and you have to pay for Conversations.

Thats where Kontalk was just pefect! Simple interface, easy (to use) encryption and entirely open!:+1:

Even those who donā€™t know how to use the most simple functions in a web-browser are able to use it.

I really like Kontalk even tough the design isnā€™t as cool as in WhatsApp or Signal but thatā€™s OK because it isnā€™t the point.

The main feature I enjoy is of course the group chat in the beta. :smile:

The main feature I miss is sending of other file types, especially videos. Maybe you should be able to set up a server of oneā€™s own for this.

:+1:Keep going on!:+1:

6 Likes

I was looking for in Syria Hussein from Google about apps development and emerged kontalk Lee jabers Protocol
Itā€™s very pretty but if chat room system works better than the Group
And free registration number or e-mail b characters and add friends by email
I can provide you filters spam llromat and alflod if you want to add a feature chat rooms

Hey,

Iā€™m Paul. Like @Stanzi, @Stefan and Spielmops (Iā€™m only allowed to mention 2 users yet) I am a Fairphoner and member of the Fairphone Forum and like @Stanzi and @Stefan Iā€™m from Austria and part of the Austrian Fairphoners. Oh and like @Stefan Iā€™m also a Moderator in the Fairphone Forum and Fan of Discourse.

I have decided a long time ago that Kontalk is the best option for a chat client as it is the only one thatā€™s recommended by Prismbreak and is available from F-Droid without antifeatures.

I was the one who told @Stefan and @Stanzi about Kontalk

Unfortunately I havenā€™t used Kontalk much yet as most of my friends and Family donā€™t want to leave their walled gardens and @Stefan and @Stanzi only want to do Group chats which I hate in principle.

3 Likes

Welcome in the Kontalk community.
Great to see a new member :slight_smile:

They have not to leave there walled gardens. They only have to open the gardendoor by installing Kontalk as a additionally messenger. Thatā€™s what I did with my friends.
I only use Kontalk. My friends uses WhatsApp AND Kontalk to communicate also to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same for me! :wink:

@paulkreuzer we donā€™t have to do group chats, I just wanted to get you into the beta tester boat for the group chat feature (we are only talking non-important stuff anyway for testing purposes). Would be great to have a one-on-one chat, too! :slight_smile:

PS: Welcome to our little Fairphoners colony! :wink:

2 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Jay and Iā€™m from Canada. I found out about Kontalk through https://www.privacytools.io/ and privacy means a great deal to me so that is why I am so interested in the project. Itā€™s a far better alternative to Signal.

3 Likes

Hi Jay,
thank you for the pointer to https://www.privacytools.io/
On there german page I could not find Kontalk.

But I just offered a Pullrequest :wink:

2 Likes

Oh really, no problem. Iā€™m glad I could help then. :slight_smile:

From Tilburg, (The Netherlands) I am Lidwien. My mobile is a Fairphone 2 on Fairphone Open 17.06.4
I try to stay away from Gā€”e and use F-Droid and of course Kontalk.

3 Likes

Welcome @Lidwien. I hope you have a great time in our forum and all the support you need.

Hi everybody, I am Gabriele from Italy.
I heard about Kontalk time ago and I got in touch with @daniele_athome.

I am an IT professional and what catched my attention is the fact that at the core of Kontalk there is Tigase.

Kudos to the team for the brilliant work with Kontalk, so far!

2 Likes

Hello. Iā€™m from Romania. Iā€™am not a programmer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m Ron, the 2nd Canadian to post to this thread.

I have a passion for computer and online privacy and security that predates the public internet. I have never convinced anyone other than my son to use secure communications, but that doesnā€™t stop me from trying.

2 Likes

Always a pleasure to learn more about newcomers. :slight_smile: Welcome aboard everyone, looking forward to catching you around our forum.

You might be interested in giving your opinion in this poll:

Iā€™m Jose from Spain and happy to be part of this community. Great work with this app, congrats to all the team. Loving GNU/Linux, free software and security/privacy matters. Cheers!.

1 Like

Hi. Iā€™m Luis, a lawyer from Brazil, and I have been searching for a good replacement for wh*pp that would be easy to use and had zero learning curve as prerequisite. Iā€™ve tried several different communicators and finally found kontalk which, in addition, is xmpp compatible - as Iā€™ll be using librem5 in the following months itā€™s a key feature. As well as neofacsism grows (due to cambridge analytica, fb and wh**app) we have to get closer where ethics is present and I feel ethics here, because itā€™s FOSS. Free software has ethics in its DNA. My missing feature is encryption with non kontalk users (xmpp users).

3 Likes

Hi @luisfsr
OMEMO is on the roadmap an will (hopfully) coming up very soon.

So this will fix the missing encryption to non Kontalk clients.

1 Like

Glad to know that @webratte! :smiley: