How to delete chat messages in the Java Client

Hello,

I’m using the Android App (Oreo) and the Kontalk Java Client v3.1.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS.

On Android I’m able to mark and delete messages (for myself).

On Ubuntu I’m just able to mark but not remove/delete messages.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

cu
Marco

That is not implemented yet, sorry. You can only delete the whole chat.

2 Likes

Good to know.

And thank you very much for Kontalk. :slight_smile:

On Android now, Kontalk is the main messenger for my wife and me.

cu Marco

5 Likes

Hola.
Eliminar los mensajes en la versión de Android es posible, y en la versión de escritorio, también. una pregunta: ¿ese borrado de mensajes es un borrado seguro? ¿tipo shred (en consola) o wipe o secure delete? y sino ¿es posible hacer un borrado seguro de los mensajes de kontalk por otro lado?. Gracias

Hi.
Deleting messages in the Android version is possible, and in the desktop version, too. a question: is that message deletion a safe deletion? Type shred (in console) or wipe or secure delete? and if not, is it possible to do a secure deletion of the kontalk messages on the other hand? Thank you

Deletion happens in your local database, so it’s not really a “wipe” as you might mean. The database we use (SQLite) will mark the records as unused and possibly recycle them for later messages.

After that, there is the question of the file system: files are not actually deleted immediately… well, they are, but the blocks containing data are just “marked for recycling”.

I can’t do nothing for the file system part, but I might be able to use the pragma secure_delete feature of SQLite, but it won’t guarantee 100% wiping.

Feel free to open a feature request on GitHub! (you can get rid of the template you’ll see)

1 Like

Ok, muchas gracias. Lo que pasa es que yo no soy desarrollador, por lo que creo que es difícil para mí, abrir solicitud de función, no entiendo mucho cómo se hace eso, disculpas. Creo que sería una función muy interesante para el kontalk. De todas formas gracias por la respuesta.

OK thank you very much. What happens is that I am not a developer, so I think it is difficult for me to open a function request, I do not understand much how that is done, sorry. I think it would be a very interesting function for the kontalk. Anyway thanks for the reply.

I’ve opened #1296.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Muy bueno, estaré muy atento a ese desarrollo. En lo que pueda ayudar, con todas mis limitantes, me puedo disponer. Gracias.
Very good, I will be very attentive to that development. As far as I can help, with all my limitations, I can dispose myself. Thank you.