How to add Jabber contact to my local contacts, do Kontalk uses its name and profile picture

Hi,

I am very happy Kontalk allows me to receive messages from Jabber users, when I turn the encryption off. The Jabber contact appears in Kontalk under its Jabber address. I would like to store this contact on my phone and provide a name and profile picture, so it is recognized by Kontalk as a native contact. Can you give me some hints how to do thus, which contact fields have to be filled and how.

Thanks, Karlitos

1 Like

Hello @karlitos, great to hear you’re using Kontalk with other XMPP users!
Unfortunately the Android client hasn’t much possibilities on this matter yet. In order to set a name for your contact, at the moment you’ll need to use the desktop client.
The names you set there will appear on the Android app on the next contact refresh.

1 Like

Hello @daniele_athome,

many thanks for your fast reply. I will try to use the desktop client and rename my contact. Is there any chance to create a profile picture ? I know that at this moment the only way to have a profile picture in Kontalk is to assign one to your phone contacts.

Is there an open ticket on GitHub for the lack of possibility to rename Jabber contacts ? Could not fin any.

The reason I like to use Kontalk is its support for XMPP which allow me to extend the possibilities of messaging app. XMPP bots, https://zapier.com/ allows automatic conversion of emails to Jabber messages … I hope there will be better support for Jabber in the future.

Not at the moment, sorry.

Something related to that is #456 which could include such feature.

It is in our plans :slight_smile: it’s just that is going to take some time, that’s all.