How public the public key can be?

After reading the explanation in this page https://github.com/kontalk/androidclient/wiki/The-personal-key about the personal key, I think I have a better understanding on the process around The Personal Keys and encryption.

I will like to make sure I’m understanding things correctly though:

So I’m thinking on making some business card for my friends and let them now they can find me in kontalk, and I thought that maybe I could add my public key’s fingerprint on them.

At first I wasn’t so sure if this was alright. When ever I read that, to be safe, you should share your public fingerprint to others in another way other than a kontalk message, I thought this was because giving away you fingerprint meant some one could use it to take your identity.

Now that I have read about it, I think that the public fingerprint is already just that, public, and anybody can see it already. The reason I believe sharing it through kontalk is not suggested is that it wouldn’t prove it’s really you who is sending the message.

Am I right on my conclusions? Would it be alright for me to share my public fingerprint on my business cards?

Thank you.

You understood the “public” part of the public key perfectly. Nothing more to add :slight_smile:

Thank you very much @daniele_athome as kind as always. Thank you. I can’t wait to make my new business cards C: