Ok I have something.
Quickly put, the website should emphasize why Kontalk is different from other projects.
- easy to use and based on mobile phone numbers
- community-driven project
- run by volunteers to provide a stable network and to provide as much network coverage as possible
- based on open standards
- fully open source (both client and server)
- clients for Android and J2SE
- takes part in the XMPP federation
Single page (as in single HTML file) website. Multiple sections covering a whole page (as in browser viewport) per section (something like http://getbootstrap.com/, maybe with different backgrounds for each section). The site should be HTML5 compliant and fully responsive.
Here is a first version of a mockup, below I explain the sections: https://astra.casaricci.it/public/kontalk_mockup_v1.odg
Logo + slogan and one or two sentences about the distributed/community-driven part.
Example (all text centered):
A new way of communicating.
Safe and easy instant messaging. Run by the community, for the community. Fully open source.
I was thinking of colouring the first sentence in green (like the lock in the logo) and the second sentence in blue (like the balloon in the logo). Let me think what do you think about that. I tried to put that in the mockup anyway.
Download links, with 3 big boxes for Android, iOS (with a question mark or something to
quickly explain that we are looking for developers) and desktop.
The boxes should contain a screenshot for each platform (except iOS of course). Under each box, we can (and probably should) use the already existing buttons in kontalk.org for the links to Google Play, F-Droid, and GitHub desktop client release page.
Why it's different:
- run by the community for the community (more emphasis on distribution and collaboration)
- funded by donations: self-sustainable
- fully open source: auditable by anyone
- based on open standards: contributes to interoperability
- easy as SMS but with the power of an e-mail
Those concepts could be represented with an icon (representing that concept) with the a short text underneath.
- based on XMPP (and part of the federation; link to something of XMPP)
- strong asymmetric encryption based on OpenPGP (will switch to OMEMO/OTR/whatever soon)
- both servers and clients open source (with a link to the Kontalk Docker server repository)
This section could use a carousel much like the bottom part of kontalk.org.
Mainly links to socials, copyright notice, and some other links. Similar in layout to the current footer in kontalk.org