OMEMO encryption to the next milestone?

Hi community,
the more I read about OMEMO the more I think this should be implemented in as soon as possible.
It seams to become the standard encryption for mobile messaging.
And also this could “fix” the missing iOS client because the XMPP messenger chatecure is available for iOS and uses OMEMO encryption. Please tell me if I’m wrong.

I’m not sure is the next milestone realistic because I have no idea about the effort of the implementation.

Still I just donated 5 Euro via playstore to make this poll :stuck_out_tongue:

• Try to Implement OMEMO in the next milestone (if it’s possible by effort)
  • Milestone 4.1.0 is early enough

0 voters

@daniele_athome No hurry, it’s just for fun. I know you work hard in you spare time to make Kontalk great.
I’m only interested what the community think about this.

What you do is your choice. :thumbsup:

Thank you

1 Like

OMEMO seems to me the best encryption at the moment. Chatsecure for Android is no longer developed. Only XMPP client for Android with OMEMO is Conversations.im. It’s a good client but it’s always good to have a choice

But the iOS Client is still under developement. So we could chat encrypted between Kontalk and iOS chatecure users :thumbsup:

Yes, I know, but it’s a pity that Chatsecure Android no longer is developed, it was a good client

Well, ChatSecure for iOS doesn’t seem to be very useful yet. Three of my friends installed the app on their iPhones, but after initial and successfull exchanges of messages they are constantly offline, because the app doesn’t work in the background. Maybe due to the fact, that iOS cuts off idle connections after 10 minutes.

Any news about chat secure for iOS?
Is it now stable?

Smack 4.2.3 including the OMEMO modules.
And Smack 4.2.3 is live.
Maybe @daniele_athome will start inplement it soon :stuck_out_tongue:

I would be a big fan of it. And I would extend my donation on https://de.liberapay.com/kontalknet/ if I could chat via chat secure and conversations over OMEMO :wink:

Hi!
Author of Smacks OMEMO code here. Right now the code in the repository is usable, but I made a lot of improvements in a pull request which still needs to get merged, so I’d recommend you to wait for Smack 4.2.4 or whatever release will include my changes before starting to implement OMEMO :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hi @vanitasvitae,
that’s the wrong answer :wink:

I try @daniele_athome to convince to implement OMEMO ASAP to get compatible to conversations and chat secure. :joy:

I believe it would be good for Kontalk, Conversations, Chat Secure and the whole XMPP community.

To have the choice is what makes XMPP better then all other chat systems (including wire, signal and so on)

To have the choice it’s my dream of free communication :+1:

2 Likes

Fwiw, the upgrade to smack 4.2 in Kontalk is tracked here:

1 Like

We really should keep an eye on OMEMO.

PrismBreak

https://prism-break.org/en/categories/android/#instant-messaging

removed all XMPP Messaging Apps which not support OMEMO

Including Kontalk.

1 Like

That’s very sad to hear. It seemed a little extreme.

Anyway, in the meantime, I’ve upgraded Kontalk to use Smack 4.3.0-rc1:

Even if it’s a release candidate, I’d like to test it a bit in the meantime. Also I can begin playing with the OMEMO part which was introduced in Smack 4.3.

Version 4.1.7 is near - I have to fix a couple more bugs and then I’ll get on with it.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Feature Request - ShortcutBadger

Hi @daniele_athome

you played around with OMEMO.
Is there a roadmap for a working release?

Thank you

1 Like