Introduce yourself or just say hi

From Tilburg, (The Netherlands) I am Lidwien. My mobile is a Fairphone 2 on Fairphone Open 17.06.4
I try to stay away from Gā€”e and use F-Droid and of course Kontalk.

3 Likes

Welcome @Lidwien. I hope you have a great time in our forum and all the support you need.

Hi everybody, I am Gabriele from Italy.
I heard about Kontalk time ago and I got in touch with @daniele_athome.

I am an IT professional and what catched my attention is the fact that at the core of Kontalk there is Tigase.

Kudos to the team for the brilliant work with Kontalk, so far!

2 Likes

Hello. Iā€™m from Romania. Iā€™am not a programmer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m Ron, the 2nd Canadian to post to this thread.

I have a passion for computer and online privacy and security that predates the public internet. I have never convinced anyone other than my son to use secure communications, but that doesnā€™t stop me from trying.

2 Likes

Always a pleasure to learn more about newcomers. :slight_smile: Welcome aboard everyone, looking forward to catching you around our forum.

You might be interested in giving your opinion in this poll:

Iā€™m Jose from Spain and happy to be part of this community. Great work with this app, congrats to all the team. Loving GNU/Linux, free software and security/privacy matters. Cheers!.

1 Like

Hi. Iā€™m Luis, a lawyer from Brazil, and I have been searching for a good replacement for wh*pp that would be easy to use and had zero learning curve as prerequisite. Iā€™ve tried several different communicators and finally found kontalk which, in addition, is xmpp compatible - as Iā€™ll be using librem5 in the following months itā€™s a key feature. As well as neofacsism grows (due to cambridge analytica, fb and wh**app) we have to get closer where ethics is present and I feel ethics here, because itā€™s FOSS. Free software has ethics in its DNA. My missing feature is encryption with non kontalk users (xmpp users).

3 Likes

Hi @luisfsr
OMEMO is on the roadmap an will (hopfully) coming up very soon.

So this will fix the missing encryption to non Kontalk clients.

1 Like

Glad to know that @webratte! :smiley:

Wait, Librem5? Isnā€™t that the thing thatā€™s, among other things, specifically designed for Riot.im? Or is that onr too complicated?

1 Like

Hello @OffifialMITX!
Itā€™s a phone with privacy features which runs Linux - crowdfunded and being procuced by https://puri.sm/
Matrix/Riot.im are working together and will bring chatty app (https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/chatty/ ), that will connect to matrix using a libpurple plugin. As it seems, chatty has xmpp, SMS, matrix and telegram plugins at this moment.

2 Likes

Hola.
Soy un promotor de Kontalk, pero no se nada de desarrollar. Por estos lugares (Colombia) estamos muy motivados a utilizar kontalk, muy a pesar de algunas limitantes con algunas caracterĆ­sticas con respecto a whasap y otras, Pero tambiĆ©n tenemos claro que es un proyecto jovĆ©n de software libre, que lentamente va ir avanzando. Por ejemplo, el avance con la aplicaciĆ³n de escritorio es y fue muy importante para la comunidad. Muchas gracias por ello.
Le pregunto, ĀæserĆ” posible agregar la utilidad (caracterĆ­stica) de crear grupos en la aplicaciĆ³n de escritorio? ese serĆ­a un avance importante para la aplicaciĆ³n.
Muchas gracias por su aporte a kontalk. Deseando que esten muy bien y que todos se cuiden mucho en esta Ć©poca.
Hallo
Ich bin ein Fƶrderer von Kontalk, aber ich weiƟ nichts, was ich entwickeln kƶnnte. FĆ¼r diese Orte (Kolumbien) sind wir sehr motiviert, Kontalk zu verwenden, trotz einiger EinschrƤnkungen mit einigen Merkmalen in Bezug auf Whasap und anderen, aber wir sind auch klar, dass es sich um ein junges freies Softwareprojekt handelt, das sich langsam weiterentwickelt. Zum Beispiel ist und war der Fortschritt mit der Desktop-Anwendung fĆ¼r die Community sehr wichtig. Vielen Dank dafĆ¼r.
Ich frage Sie, ob es mƶglich ist, das Dienstprogramm (Feature) zum Erstellen von Gruppen in der Desktop-Anwendung hinzuzufĆ¼gen. Das wƤre ein wichtiger Fortschritt fĆ¼r die Anwendung.
Vielen Dank fĆ¼r Ihren Beitrag zu Kontalk. Ich wĆ¼nsche mir, dass es ihnen sehr gut geht und dass jeder zu diesem Zeitpunkt gut auf sich selbst aufpasst.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Whatā€™s very strange for me is that I havenā€™t heard about Kontalk earlier - Iā€™m impressed by how polished the Android app is. Fantastic project!

My name is Cosmin, Iā€™m a scientist doing research in biology with more than half of my time in data analysis using R and Python. I do not contribute directly to open source projects, but promote open-source tools every time I can. My colleagues use Zotero, a reference manager, LibreOffice, Inkscape, ImageJ, R and Ubuntu VMs. Iā€™ve tried messaging with Element/Matrix.org and is great as well. Kontalk is closer though to the SMS-style applications, is easier to set up with the family members and ā€˜just worksā€™.

I think the only thing Kontalk is currently missing is publicity and public exposure beyond those who, like me, searched for messaging alternatives in F-droid. By the way, do I have to install Kontalk from Google Play Store to be able to leave a positive feed-back ?

Anyway, great project, I hope it will be long-lived.

3 Likes

Amiyah
Kentucky
Anime books
Just talking to people
I found it randomly
I havenā€™t found anything yet

My name is Ronald. I live in the Netherlands.
On my computer I mainly use Linux (Arch). On my phone I use LineageOS or Android with as little Google as possible.
A few years ago I found out about Kontalk through F-Droid. I use it to have secure private conversations with just a few persons. I donā€™t need to be connected to the whole world.

Hi Ronald,
I was a early supporter and german translator of Kontalk. It was a great project. But now itā€™s dead. Itā€™s too bad but true.
If you search for a free, open and provider-indepentend messenger, then take a look on https://delta.chat/
This is really a new way of Instant messaging. Or as the devs say: Back to the future :wink:

Hi webratte,

I know that Kontalk as a project is rather dead. But as an app it is still used. I registered just to be able to suggest a workaround that might solve an issue with importing existing keys (which someone reported last April to have encountered).
I know about Delta Chat. A while ago I experimented with it, and it worked fine. But at that time it seemed to eat my battery. Maybe I will give it another try soon. I like the concept (working through e-mail).
Thank you for your kind response.

Ronald

Hi Ronald,

I use Delta Chat sice a few years as my (nearly) only messenger. Batterey usage is absolutely OK. Maybe you should give them a second chance. I donā€™t know, when was your last use of Delta Chat.
Currently they have clients for all platforms (Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, Linux). And if you use mor then one client, all clients will be in sync.

ā€¦ rather dead ā€¦

Is there an official announcement? Only found this:

ā€¦ I eventually abandoned Kontalk development ā€¦

If you are searching for a Kontalk replacement have a look at: freie-messenger.de/en

There is a quick system overview in different languages too.